Windows 7 upgrade – its EASY!

Over the weekend I took the plung and upgraded my main workstation from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Initial impression:

I’m extremely impressed by Microsoft.  They did an AWESOME job with the upgrade.  Everything works, my machine is faster, it boots faster, etc.  Adobe Premiere CS4 works including all the special codecs I installed before.  All my user settings like saved passwords, outlook, firefox, IE etc… all migrated seamlessly.

This is by far the easiest “upgrade” of an OS I’ve ever done.  I’ll post more after I’ve used the machine for a while.

 

Fix RDP from Vista to Windows Server 2008 Terminal Server connectivity and performance

So you have configured your Windows Server 2008 Terminal Server with:

Server Manager >> “Configure Remote Desktop” >> Systems Properties >> “Remote Desktop”

as “Allow connections from computers running any version of one of Remote Desktop (Less secure)”

And your XP clients get a quick RDP connection but Vista clients hang for a long time and sometimes connect and sometimes don’t, then it’s a firewall issue. (Clarification: this post does NOT apply to a TS Gateway.)

Not a firewall issue for traffic to the Terminal Server (TS) but a connection between the TS and your Domain Controller (DC)!

If your design includes a firewall between your TS and DC, first make sure you have the basic rules configured.

Then make sure you’re allowing outbound TCP port 49157 between TS and DC. It is a port used by svchost.exe and lsass.exe during authentication.

Presto! The connections from your Vista clients will be lightning fast.

Corner Edge likes their Vista lighting fast.

-Elias

Windows Vista indexing Oulook

UPDATE: I’ve verified a noticeable performance improvement after doing this on my workstation and laptop.  I encourage all performance users to consider all their indexing on their computers and minimize it to what you need only.

———————————————————————

To ring in my new year, I had some outlook 2007 issues.  Like most of us out there, I have been struggling to get some performance out of this new version of outlook for some time.   Now, I should mention that I’m far from an average user.  I have 10+ gigs of email in my exchange mailbox (no I don’t believe in archiving), and I I’m also running Xobni, so I do hit outlook pretty hard.  I feel it is fair for me to wait on occasion for things, but I’m running a fairly new Vista 64-bit machine with 12 gigs of ram, so Outlook cannot complain about resources.  I know its only 32-bit, but I can give it a full 4 gigs of ram if it wants, and it usually takes it.   It would be nice if there was a 64-bit version of outlook… someday.

One of the common performance tweaks is disabling the searching in Outlook.  With Google desktop, Microsoft, and in my case Xobni, you need to pay attention to how many programs have there hands on your database for indexing.  I disabled outlook and Google to only rely on Xobni for searching.  I followed the instructions, and THOUGHT I had removed all the search features in outlook.  Today I was VERY surprised to find the index service in Vista was STILL indexing my outlook data file.  Here is how I found it.

I had an unrelated search speed issue, so I looked into tuning my indexing settings to speed things up a bit.   If you are like most of us, you are running Google desktop as well, so I don’t really need the Vista index, but I do want it there for the occasional focused or advanced search.  Anyway, when going into the search options, I clicked modify and found that my Microsoft Office Outlook was still selected to be indexed!

I unchecked it, adjusted some other areas like “offline files” and other network shares that I don’t want indexed.  Then I initiated a full re-index to ensure it was cleared.

I’ll post later and let you know if I notice an increase in speed.